Cavendish Labs AI Safety Fellowship
Cavendish Labs offers a fellowship for exceptional early-career researchers to work with us on a meaningful project in AI safety. This is a rapidly developing field and something that's very important to get right; we're optimistic that safe AI will be able to improve the world in previously unimaginable ways. Come work with us to make the unbelievably great future a reality!
Below are some requirements, as well as benefits we might like to see from applicants. Note that the most important characteristics are curiosity, optimism, an ability to learn, and a desire to do meaningful work, which are more important than anything else. Notably, no AI safety experience is expected.
What we're looking for
- Design, implement, and evaluate intelligent agents and their actions
- Drawing from a variety of fields such as deep RL, neuroscience, and complexity theory, create actionable ways to make agents behave safely
- Develop and maintain collaborations with other AI safety researchers
- Solid knowledge of undergrad linear algebra, calculus, stats, or similar
- Research fellows will live with us in the lab in rural Vermont
Optional but might be helpful
- Strong technical background in a related field (CS, math, physics, comp. bio, etc.)
- Experience with supervised learning, self-supervized learning, classical AI
- Experience with reinforcement learning
- Experience with ML frameworks such as Pytorch, Tensorflow, JAX, &c.
- Experience with distributed training on GPUs
- Enjoyment of hiking—this is, after all, Vermont
- Join a tight-knit research community in the bucolic northeast
- $1500/month grant on top of food and lodging
- Very flexible duration, from a few weeks to months
- We do lots of fun things outside of research, such as exploring the nearby towns, running outreach programs, hang-gliding from Mount Ascutney, and hosting gravity chess championships. You're welcome to join us in all these things, and you'll have the funding and opportunity to run your own!
Our Hiring Process
In a new, important, and rapidly developing field, we at Cavendish Labs are looking for talented researchers with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. If you are unsure if you are "the right person" for this fellowship, we highly encourage you to apply!