Cavendish Labs Bio-Risk Fellowship
Cavendish Labs offers a fellowship for exceptional early-career researchers to work with us on a meaningful project in biorisk mitigation. Advances in biotechnology and an increasingly-connected world make biological risks more relevant every year. We're trying to mitigate this through researching broad-spectrum safety.
Below are some requirements, as well as benefits we might like to see from applicants. Note that the most important characteristics are curiosity, optimism, an ability to learn, and a desire to do meaningful work.
What we're looking for
- Design and implement computational models for understanding the impact of ultraviolet light on viruses
- Develop and maintain collaborations with other bio-risk researchers
- Solid knowledge of undergrad biology, chemistry or similar, as well as some computational background
- Research fellows will live with us in the lab in rural Vermont
Optional but might be helpful
- Strong technical background in a related field (biochemistry, comp. bio, etc)
- Experience with computational chemistry
- Experience with distributed computing
- Enjoyment of hiking—this is, after all, Vermont
- Join a tight-knit research community in the bucolic northeast
- $1500/month grant on top of food and lodging
- Very flexible duration, from a few weeks to months
- We do lots of fun things outside of research, such as exploring the nearby towns, running outreach programs, hang-gliding from Mount Ascutney, and hosting gravity chess championships. You're welcome to join us in all these things, and you'll have the funding and opportunity to run your own!
Our Hiring Process
In a new, important, and rapidly developing field, we at Cavendish Labs are looking for talented researchers with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. If you are unsure if you are "the right person" for this fellowship, we highly encourage you to apply!